Category Archives: Esquire #1

Diary following the first guitar assembled for this blog. Warts and all!

A week on…

A little update on Esquire #1 after a week of living/playing. I’m still very happy with it! I’m used to my US Std partscaster at 8 1/2 lbs, so I thought the very light Esquire may feel like a toy. … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

6lbs 12oz

The main picture was taken in natural light, the detail pictures under artificial daylight bulbs. The detail pictures are a better representation of the colour. Please excuse the fingermarks! So what have I learned? Most importantly, plan ahead. I could … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Final assembly

The teaser pic in the previous entry is showing marking the hardware for hole placement. You know the saying “measure twice, cut once”? Well I must have measured and moved and re-taped half a dozen times before marking. In fact … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Tagged , , , , , , | 1 Comment

The home straight

Major update tomorrow!

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Slow going

So take a wild guess on the delays..yep, I stripped it back and started again. Again. This time however I found the perfect ratio of button polish to meths – 1:2 (double the meths) This gives a very thin solution … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Progress

A bit of a delay on the build due to a number of things, one of which being a delay in receiving a shipment that includes most of the parts I’m going to be using. It looks like it will … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Back on track

After a few more thin clear coats I switched to the Button Polish. This dries so much quicker than the transparent that I was able to get a good 6 coats on in one day, top and sides. The colour … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Reboot.

To add a little colour I switched to Pure Button Polish. This is shellac with an amber hue. I planned to apply a few coats of this then switch back to the transparent for a few final coats. No change … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Laying it on thin

The shellac I am using is a pre-mix. I chose pre-mix over mixing my own from flakes for pure ease of use. I’m thinning the shellac with methylated spirit (de-natured alcohol for our transatlantic friends)  – about 50%. This makes … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment

Sealing and first few coats

Mighty Mite bodies come sanded and sealed with a thin oil based sealer. There is no need to do any further prep if you don’t want to, you can just start applying your finish. However, when grain filling it is … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Esquire #1 | Leave a comment